Philippines Work Visa

There are several types of work visas in the Philippines. Usually, a person gets hired by a company, and the company helps the employee process the work visa. 

It’s challenging to get a job as a foreigner in the Philippines, and some would say downright impossible. Your skill set needs to be so different that no Filipino has it. The department of labor will also need to put your job and personal information in the newspaper. If a Filipino has the same skillset, they can take the position from you.

A job like geothermal or nuclear fusion comes to mind. However, I have information that some managers and trainers can stay almost indefinitely. 

The Filipino people come first before any foreigner. Any foreigner will also be questioned about salary because the salary in the Philippines is abysmal. Most workers make about $300 a month. Immigration and the department of labor will want a good explanation of why you’re not in your home country making more.


Foreigners transferred from a different country is the usual process. They are usually in manager or training positions and can make a living wage in the Philippines. People who plan to retire in the Philippines go this route.


9G is the visa you’ll want when getting a job in the Philippines. The 9G is a pre-arranged employment visa. Your company will apply for this before you enter the Philippines. 9G is the most common type of work visa.

The 9G requires the applicant to collect certain documents listed in the checklist. This list also includes dependent documents the applicant is required to collect. 

The application form is only two pages of personal information. Here are the fill and sign instructions from Adobe. It’s much easier to fill out, sign, and print on your computer. If immigration cannot read your writing, your application is delayed.

If you have children, then fill out BIForm2014-00-005. It’s a list of personal information about your children and will only take a moment of your time.

Your company also needs to provide a notarized copy of the certification of the amount of foreign and Filipino workers the company has.

Immigration Office

The company will collect all of this from you, but certain immigration offices will accept the paperwork if you’re already in the Philippines. See the list of immigration offices here.

My experience with the immigration office is in this article. Be prepared for a long wait in some cases.


Two to three months if everything is correct. Unreadable or incomplete information will delay the process. There is also no guarantee that you’ll be approved.


One to three years, depending on the employment contract. Renewal is the same timeline and duration. Remember it’s your responsibility to renew your visa, be proactive, or you may find yourself deported.

Changing positions/company

If you change your position within your current company or change companies, you’ll need to apply for an APE again. 


I’m going to link to the website here because prices are subject to change. When writing this article, the price for a year is 10,130 PHP, two years is 17,120 PHP, and three years is 24,210 PHP.

The link provides the cost for spouses and children.

Have you applied for a visa in the Philippines? Please share your story in the comment section below.

Do you have questions about the visa process? Place your question below, and I’ll do my best to answer it.

Leave a Comment